Commercial Auto Insurance

  • Primary Liability
  • General Liability
  • Physical Damage
  • Motor Truck Cargo
  • Trailer Interchange
  • Uninsured Motorist
  • Workers Compensation
  • Trucking Umbrella Policy
  • Medical Payments
  • Owned Trailers
  • Non Owned Trailers / Unidentified Trailers

 Commercial Risks We Insure:

  • General Freight Haulers
  • Container Haulers – UIIA
  • Flat Bed Haulers
  • Tour Busses – Airport Shuttles  Passengers
  • Agricultural Haulers
  • Reefer Produce Haulers
  • Trash Haulers
  • Recycling Operations Haulers
  • Sand & Gravel Haulers
  • Mix Haulers
  • Car Haulers
  • Towing Haulers
  • Tank Haulers
  • Hazardous Materials Haulers ( Liquid/Gases)
  • Oilfield Equipment Haulers
  • Livestock Haulers
  • Machinery, Large Objects Haulers
  • Household Movers Haulers
  • And many more!

What Does Commercial Auto Insurance Cover?

Commercial Auto Insurance can help pay to repair physical damage to the vehicle you drive for business if it’s damaged by theft, weather events, or collisions. It can also pay for lawsuit costs associated with accidents, such as medical expenses and legal fees.

Let’s take a more in-depth look at business auto insurance coverage and how it protects your company.


What’s Included?

A commercial auto insurance policy usually offers four major types of protection:

  • Auto liability coverage can help pay for property damage or bodily injury you cause. It can also help pay for accident-related legal expenses, such as attorney fees or settlement costs.
  • Medical payment coverage can cover medical bills if you or your passengers are injured in a car crash, regardless of fault.
  • Physical damage and collision coverage can pay for repairs if your vehicle is damaged by something other than a car accident. For example, theft, vandalism, certain weather events, and collisions with an object are usually covered incidents.
  • Uninsured motorist coverage can help pay for damage to your car or bodily injuries you suffer if somebody who doesn’t have insurance hits your vehicle.

You may already have liability insurance, such as General Liability Insurance or Professional Liability Insurance, to protect your business from lawsuit costs. But commercial auto coverage is the policy that helps your business address lawsuits over car accidents. Considering how often you might drive for work, this protection can be valuable.



Registration Services & Permits

  • Federal Motor Carrier Authority – MC/ICC #
  • U.S. DOT Number Carrier Permit – DOT #
  • Motor Carrier Permit – DMV
  • California Motor Carrier Permit Number – CA #
  • Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)
  • International Registration Plan (IRP) Tag
  • Heavy Highway Use TAX – Form 2290 Road Tax
  • International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) Decal
  • New Mexico Permit
  • Oregon Permit  and Oregon Trip Permit
  • Freight Broker Bonds (BMC-84)

Authorities and Permits Checklist:


Federal DOT and Motor Carrier Authority Numbers

These numbers are required for your trucking company to haul cargo in the United States. The U.S. DOT number is used to track your company’s safety record and compliance with regulations. The motor carrier (MC) number, which is also known as “operating authority,” identifies the kind of trucking business you operate and the kinds of goods you are permitted to haul. You can acquire both numbers by registering your company with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).

To get both your MC and USDOT numbers, you must complete the Motor Carrier Identification Report (MCS-150) and Safety Certification Application. You will receive your MC and USDOT numbers after the application is filed, but your request for authority must still be reviewed by the FMCSA. That review includes a “mandated dispute period” in which your application is posted to the Federal Register for 10 business days. This period is to seek out public comment from anyone who might contest your application for authority.


Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)

The UCR system was created to verify active insurance coverage in each state where a motor carrier operates. You must register using your company’s USDOT and MC numbers. To learn more about UCR, visit your home state’s Department of Transportation website.


International Registration Plan (IRP) Tag

An IRP license plate issued by your company’s home state allows your truck to operate in all states, as well as most Canadian provinces. The plate requires an annual renewal fee. For more information, visit the Department of Transportation website for the state where your company is based.


Heavy Use Tax Form 2290

Any truck that weighs 55,000 pounds or more is subject to the federal heavy-highway vehicle use tax. To pay taxes due on your heavy trucks, you must complete and file a 2290 tax form with the IRS on a yearly basis. For more information on the form, visit


International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) Decal

The IFTA agreement was established to simplify the reporting of fuel used by trucks operating across the lower 48 U.S. states and some Canadian provinces. The rule allows your company to have a single fuel license and requires you to file quarterly fuel use tax returns with the state where you are based. To learn more about IFTA, visit your state’s Department of Transportation website.


BOC-3 Form

One requirement to gain interstate operating authority is to register an up-to-date BOC-3 form with the FMCSA. The form designates a person in each state where your company operates to act as a legal “process agent.” For example, if your company is based in Missouri but you are sued by someone in Georgia, you need an attorney in Georgia who can receive the legal complaint and communicate it to you and your local attorney. For more information on the BOC-3 form, visit


Workers Comp Insurance

  • Transportation Industry
  • Trucking & Logistics
  • Recycling Center Facilities
  • Manufacturing Workers

What is workers’ Compensation?

Workers’ compensation is a type of insurance that is designed to cover your employees against injuries and illnesses that occur while on the job. Workers’ compensation benefits help in covering medical expenses, lost wages and death benefits in case an employee is injured, becomes ill or get killed while on the job.

As an employer, you’re protected from lawsuits because the workers’ compensation insurance covers you.

It is mandated by state and required by the law that all employers provide workers’ insurance for all their employees whether they are working on full or part time basis. In the transportation industry, workers’ compensation offer coverage for drivers and other staff classified as employees. This means that the drivers work only for you such that they pick and deliver goods or people on a schedule designated by you. The workers’ compensation for truck drivers and other employees policy does not cover independent contractors who work for multiple companies and have the freedom to set their own schedules.


What is the cost of Workers’ Compensation?

The rates of coverage of workers’ compensation insurance vary with every state. The workers’ compensation premium you pay is based on the employee salaries, their job classifications, and the number of claims you’ve had in the past. Stone Road Insurance offers personalized workers’ compensation insurance coverage that takes into consideration your physical location, the nature of the fleet business and other factors.

As an employer, you can lower the costs of workers’ compensation premiums by reducing claims such as vehicular accidents on the road, slips, and falls, crush injuries, and back injuries or strains that occur due to lifting or carrying heavy items.

You should also put safety plans and procedures in place so as to minimize the risks of accidents. Truck drivers and other staff should be retrained at least once every year on the company’s safety program so as to prevent injuries and accidents.